Intergenerational Catechesis is a vision of faith formation that is rooted in the documents of Vatican II, and the General Directory for Catechesis. It promotes faith formation as an ongoing and life-long process. There is no graduation, and no exit strategy, we are always growing in faith! And this can be greatly supported by intergenerational learning and interaction.
The benefits of this vision of lifelong faith formation for the whole community are many, and as a parish, we are beginning to experience some of these benefits.
• Intergenerational catechesis builds community and meaningful relationships across all the generations in the parish, where families learn to be church for one another, youth and seniors alike, get to know and appreciate the wisdom and enthusiasm of each other, and grow in respect for individuals in all stages and ages of life.
• Parishioners of all ages are developing a deeper understanding of the foundational themes of the Catholic faith – church year, liturgy and sacraments, creed, morality, prayer, justice – and learning how to live their faith in the parish, at home and in the world.
• Parents participating with their children, often for the first time, are finding benefit in learning together as a family. Learning together helps to incorporate faith sharing activities at home, and we become “households of faith”, the domestic church.
• Intergenerational catechesis provides a setting to share and learn from all age groups, giving us new insights, wisdom, knowledge of ways we can grow individually and communally in faith.
• Providing this positive adult role model for our children and youth has immeasurable benefits. When our children and youth experience being with their father and mother, grandparents, or neighbour sharing their faith and learning right beside them, then faith and church takes on a new and deeper meaning for them, impacting their lives.
Intergeneration Catechesis Board Members:
Coordinator - Heather McFarlane 696-5415
Patricia McGrath 696-5942
Tracie Dyker 849-7148
Kim David 849-4975
Sonya Doller 657-4946
Sherry McCarthy 849-6779
Gisele Kirkpatrick 672-8626
Mary Angela McCluskey 696-2711